"If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve....but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Another Week, Another Wardrobe

This post is a bit late in publication, I'm afraid. You have my apologies. Life was forcing its way like a whirlwind through our home last month and I just could not bring myself to sit at the computer editing photos and writing composition when there was so much to be done and so little time in which to do it. In basically a week and a half, my husband came home from his full time job and turned out two pieces of furniture while still managing to tackle everyday responsibilities. I'm not certain that he slept more than a couple of hours each night. While I do stay up with him most nights, I have a ridiculously difficult time hauling myself out of bed in the morning to match his 5:30am wake-up call.

This last project was another wardrobe made of Walnut and Spalded Maple. While it may be a pain to work with due to differing degrees of hardness throughout the boards, the Maple is a beautiful wood full of rich colors and patterns.


When he is moving quickly without the luxury of taking an evening off every now and then, it's amazing how quickly the piece takes shape.

The back, with diagonal paneling detail



Maneuvering panels to make more work space

Preparing to route out for a joint

Even when pressed for time, he'll still add a special detail that will set each piece apart. This time, he pulled out his antique Stanley 55 hand plane to carve a reeded checkerboard trim.


If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that he did all of this in two nights. (Not including the time to glue up.)



Even the drawer received special attention with hand-cut dovetails.


 This piece had to be versatile because it was needed in a small space and would have to accommodate a changing wardrobe. In order to maximize its potential, he incorporated adjustable shelving and a removable hanging rod.




 In less than a week, he transformed a pile of lumber like this....



 into this beautiful and highly functional piece of art.




* You may be wondering about the missing hardware. It was to be added by the one who commissioned the piece at a later date. The drawer was rigged with a temporary pull that prevented it from closing tightly until then.



No comments:

Post a Comment