"If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve....but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Hammer...a.k.a. my rock, Georg

My husband, Georg, also known to friends as Gorg, is one of the most amazing men that I have ever met. He is an incredibly gifted man who uses his talents to help anyone and everyone whom he can. Many people have had the opportunity to experience his help with anything from wiring to plumbing; welding to art. They don't have to be close friends, he's just as likely to rescue a stranger on the side of the road as he is to lend a helping hand to a neighbor. The word 'no' is difficult to find in his vocabulary. He gets up before the sun to head in to work to take care of his family and then will stay out at all hours of the night if necessary to take care of us and those around him. I can't tell you how many times that he has come home hoping to relax and, just as he sets down to rest, the phone rings with another request or job, and he finds a way to get up, load up his tools, and head out again.


Yet with all of that, he still manages to bring a smile to my face and to make my heart feel lighter. He knows how to make me feel special and how to make me laugh when I've had a horrible day. He stands by me through thick and thin; never leaving me in an hour of need. He doesn't bring me flowers or chocolates on Valentine's Day, my birthday, or our anniversary, but he almost always wakes me up to be sure that he is the first to wish me a good day. He doesn't follow any of the traditional 'American' ways of saying "I love you", that can ultimately end up being meaningless trophies for wives to show off and husbands to breathe a sigh of relief over having remembered. Instead, he knows me, inside and out. He knows when I could really use flowers as a pick me up, and even more, he knows that I prefer them to come with roots attached. He knows that while I love chocolate, the true way to my heart is through olives and port or bourbon and that they are even more special when we can enjoy them together. He's not afraid to help out with 'women's chores if I fall terribly behind, and he will still come to my rescue when the dryer starts to make awful noises or the vehicles start to act up. He knows when I just need to be held and he happily obliges. He never complains about my cooking; even when I know it wasn't the greatest. He supports my dreams and pushes me to make them a reality when I begin to doubt myself. He will get up to check on things when I've heard a suspicious noise at night. He's not afraid to stand up for what is right. He's not afraid to be a real man for his family in a day and age when that is frowned upon more and more.

He is the only man for me. I love you, Gorg.


2 comments:

  1. Awww, you are so right. He is a great man and very generous to all he comes in contact with. You two are perfect for each other. Let us know if you two ever need a baby sitter one night and we will come give you all some time together... or at least a shopping trip together :) Happy Birthday Gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. It is encouraging to know that marriages like these are alive and thriving! I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

    -Hope

    ReplyDelete